SAFARI: LAKE NATRON (2 days)
Explore lesser-known lands in the far north of Tanzania. Lake Natron is home to 2,5 million of lesser flamingos, and the views along the road to get there are nothing less than stunning. Beautiful as the stand-alone package that you will find below, but also an ideal extension to any other ‘standard’ safari in the north of Tanzania!
Day 1: Moshi – Lake Natron
Your driver / guide will pick you up at your hotel in Moshi in the morning and drive for about 4 hours before leaving the main road. There’s 2 roads that lead from Moshi to Lake Natron, and we will pick the best one according to accessibility at your time of travel. The ride will take you over bumpy paths, through remote Maasai areas with stunning views of the ‘mountain of God’ Ol Doinyo Lengai, and if you’re lucky you might even see some zebra’s or other wildlife.
The drive takes around 7 hours in total (you’ll stop for lunch) and once you arrive at the entrance gate of Lake Natron area, a local Maasai guide will escort you to your accommodation. Visiting this whole area without a local guide is not allowed, so any excursion you do will be in his presence. You’ll check in and have time to freshen up, after which you’ll head to the lake.
Accompanied by your local guide, you’ll explore the lake on foot. The ground is quite slippery and muddy, so be prepared to slowly slide over it in order to avoid falling. It’s very shallow for quite some time though, so it’s up to you to see how far you want to go to get close to the flamingos. We’ll stay until sunset, as this is the time when the flamingos are most active, looking for food. After the visit, you’ll return to your accommodation, where dinner will be served.
Day 2: Waterfall hike – Moshi
The days starts early today, as we want to hike to a nearby waterfall before it gets to warm, and leave enough time to comfortably get back to Moshi before it gets too dark. The hike takes about 1,5 to 2 hours and takes you through the beautiful landscapes surrounding Lake Natron. Get ready to get wet, as you’ll have to cross the river a few times!
Once you finish your hike, you’ll start heading back to Moshi for another 7 hours. Lunch will be provided on the way.
OUR OFFER – PRICES AND SERVICES
Please find our sample packages below.
If you’re on a tight budget and don’t mind basic comfort, this option is perfect for you!
Prices according to group size:
- 1 person: 950 USD per person
- 2 people: 600 USD per person
- 3 people: 490 USD per person
- 4 people: 430 USD per person
- 5 people: 400 USD per person
- 6 people: 370 USD per person
- 7 people: 350 USD per person
Standard lodges & tents
For anyone who wants a medium comfort level but doesn’t want to break the bank too much.
Didn’t find exactly what you’re looking for? Please contact us for different accommodation options, room types and group sizes or groups including children, as well as if you wish to add extra options to your trip.
The following services are included in our package:
- Entrance fees to Lake Natron area
- Transport in a 4×4 vehicle from your hotel in Moshi to the parks and back (other pick-up points possible, please contact us for the right price)
- Visit to the lake and waterfall
- Professional, English-speaking guide
- Accommodation as mentioned in our offers.
- In case of a camping trip: camping gear like tents, camping mattresses, sleeping bags, pillows, camping chairs, etc.
- Lunch and dinner on the first day of your trip, breakfast and lunch on the last day
- Drinking water, tea and coffee
This package however doesn’t include:
- Tips for the crew. We recommend a tip of 25 USD per day for your guide, and 15 USD per day for your cook, to be divided between each member of your group.
- Travel insurance
- Flights or other transport to Moshi. We can however arrange airport pickup for you. Let us know your itinerary and we’ll make it happen!
- Alcoholic and soft drinks
- Accommodation in Moshi. If you wish, we can however assist you in finding a place that corresponds to your needs and budget.
- Breakfast on the first day and dinner on the last
- Personal spending money for souvenirs, laundry, etc.
- … and all other services that are not mentioned as included.
TIPS AND PRACTICAL INFORMATION
SAFARI PACKING LIST
HOW TO FIND A BUDGET SAFARI
OUR OTHER SAFARI PACKAGES
TOUCH OF NATURE (2 days)
This starter package is a great option for anyone on a budget or a time limit. But don’t worry, you’ll get more than enough value for your money! You will visit Lake Manyara or Tarangire National Park and Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which are very different, and you’ll see countless highlights in just 2 days. Let’s go!
HINT OF WILDERNESS (3d)
Three national parks in as many days, this tour never disappoints. The parks are jaw-dropping, and the variety of animals is huge. Tree sitting lions at Lake Manyara, hundreds of elephants at Tarangire, and the diversity of Ngorongoro with the chance to spot some rare species like the black Rhino. Let’s go!